Knowing and understanding the challenges that face the Loddon Murray region will help us build a plan to best support our communities and achieve our Vision. The new Loddon Mallee Regional Strategic Plan (2015-2018) outlines five aspirations for our region which we share:
- A diverse and robust economy
- Thriving and sustainable agriculture
- Prosperous, connected and resilient communities
- Vibrant regional cities and centres
- Enhanced natural/cultural heritage.
To view a copy of the Loddon Mallee Regional Strategic Plan, click here.
Through our work and knowledge of the region we identify its key challenges as:
- Geographic differences between our rural and regional communities
- The diversity of economic and social settings
- The mix of settlements from large regional cities to small townships with very different needs
- The impact of demographic change with ageing populations and population changes
- The impact of changing climate and water supply on farming communities and our regional economy
- A gap between the region’s workforce skills and emerging industries
We identify the region’s key opportunities as:
- Adaption to new agricultural conditions and products
- New and growing industries, eg. renewable energy, health services, tourism
- Small town renewal and tree change
- Improved transport connectivity between major centres and Melbourne
- Growth of service economy in Bendigo and larger centres to improve access and range of support for smaller communities.